Archive for January, 2010
Have you ever been to a celebration or event with lots of drinking included? Or just a simple Friday or Saturday night out at the bar? If you’ve been drinking, most probably you will have a hangover the next day. Alcoholic drinks make us feel dizzy and out of our present mind, especially when drank too much. But that’s not the worst part, because tomorrow, your hangover will hit you like a hammer in your head. Surely you want to do something to cure your hangover. There are many ways to do it naturally. There are myths going around, and those won’t work. Go for the tried and tested methods instead. Below are ten homemade cures for hangovers.
1. Amino acids. These are the building blocks of protein that our body really needs to work. Amino acids can be found in protein-rich foods like meat and dairy products. Refilling our body with this mineral will help our body overcome the hangover pain.
2. Water. Having a hangover means that our body has been dehydrated. The simplest way to cure this is drinking lots of water the next day. Contrary to some beliefs, water will not make the nauseous feeling return. Water flushes out the toxins in our body so we will be free from the harmful substances of alcohol.
3. Bananas. These have fructose and potassium minerals that the body loses when they drink alcohol. The sick feeling you have in your stomach will lessen since there are natural antacids in bananas. The throbbing headaches, meanwhile, will be cured with the magnesium also found in this fruit.
4. Bouillon soup. Soup has potassium and salt that our body uses up when drunk. Buying broth cubes is a good way to make soup, but making your own is much better. This way, you can add nutrients you think you lack.
5. Vitamin B-complex. Stress makes our body drain the B-complex vitamins. Drunkenness is a kind of stress, I’m sure. So take a tablet of this vitamin, so our body will return to normal.
6. Coffee with lemon. Drink hot, black coffee to relieve the pounding blood vessels we have when having a hangover. The throbbing in the head is really caused by the blood vessels that pound. Adding lemon juice to the coffee isn’t only for a better taste. It actually lessens the nauseous feeling in our stomach. The downside of drinking coffee is dehydrating our body even more because of caffeine.
7. Crackers with honey. Crackers feed our stomach so it doesn’t feel as queasy. It will also absorb the excess alcohol we might still have in our system. Eating bread is better, though because it has better absorbent powers than crackers. Honey is a concentrated fructose, so it cures the low blood pressure we experience after being drunk.
8. Fruit juice. Like honey, it has fructose we lose in a hangover. Drinking it not only replenishes our sugar supply, but also rehydrates our body after alcohol depletes us of water. Fruit juices are healthy, simple, and delicious. The best juice for hangover is tomato, because it contains the right nutrients our body needs.
9. Willow bark. You might not have heard of this hangover cure, but willow barks have salicylate in organic form. Drinking water together with willow bark is very effective. Salicylate is found in aspirins to relieve pain. If you can’t find willow barks at home and can’t get one, simply pop one or two aspirins for quicker relief.
10. Time. If you become sick and tired of always finding a cure for hangovers, you can just wait it out. It takes time though. But anyway, when it cures, the memory will become blurry.
Getting hangovers has its upside. Maybe it will teach you not to get too drunk all the time. The best way not to have a hangover is not to drink alcohol. As the saying goes, “prevention is the best cure.” That is very true.
Drinking alcoholic beverages isn’t really bad, as long as taken in moderation. It can even be healthy, like drinking a glass of red wine a day. There’s nothing wrong with partying and celebrating, just stay focused because it can have consequences in the future. Best example? Hangovers! Drinking is fun (for some people, anyway), overdoing it is bad for everyone. If you want to celebrate, you can do it in the companionship of your friends. You can hang out without drinking, as many people do.